Monday, September 6, 2010

Bike Riding

I'm very glad that the saying "...it's like riding a bike... you never forget how," is true. Because I haven't riden a bike since I was a kid, but I desperately wanted to take L'bug on a bike ride.
I had a certain bike in mind to purchase. I wanted something retro, that had a basket (to carry the very important library books), and it had to have a child's seat... and not the kind that you pull behind - but the old school kind!
I've been visiting my parents and was talking to them about the type of
bike that I was looking for. My mom suggested that I take her old Western Flyer. A great bike, but one that needed a little bit of work to get it up to par. So my brother and I
took it apart and did a massive overhaul on the paint and rust.
Here's what it looked like before...
In this picture we had already taken off the basket and rear view mirror... oh yes. I just said rear view mirror friends!
Rust central!

Taking it apart was easy. However, in hind site we probably should have paid more attention to where exactly all the nuts and bolts went. LOL Well, J was more detailed than I was with the deconstruction. I was... shall we say very zealous and just started taking things apart left and right!

I'm such a big fan of the white walls.
**** DRUM ROLL PLEASE****

Not only is the bike one that my mom rode with me and my brothers, but I remember riding both of them on it myself. The icing on the cake was working on it with L'bug's Uncle J.
Thank you Uncle Yimmy ;-)
I've totally already gone on two 6 mile bike rides. L'bug loved it and pointed at all of the dogs she could find saying "ooff, oooff!" And then she laid her head on my back when she was tired. I wish I could've seen her, but I figured keeping my hands and eyes on the road was a better choice.
The only thing I'd like to add is a bell. So, if you see me riding throw me a wave!

No comments:

Post a Comment